Okay who wouldn’t want to be happier? I mean, that’s really what life is really all about, right? Living a happy, fun and fulfilled life. Well there are a few things in life that are just total happiness robbers. They’ll bring you down and do nothing but harm. Avoid these happiness robbers to keep yourself sane, confident, and happy! 🙂
1. Comparing yourself or your progress to others. Have you ever looked at someone else and thought “man, I wish I had her hair, body, LIFE? I know I have…guilty. I actually used to be really bad about doing this. It’s something that I still feel creep up on me occasionally but I’m better at noticing it now and changing my thought pattern. I think we’ve all done it at some point but let me tell you, it’s a recipe for disaster. You are YOU. No one else in the world is like you and that’s pretty awesome! Comparing yourself to someone else will just leaving you feeling down and will take away from the goals that you’re striving towards. Focus on you and your goals and don’t compare yourself or your progress to anyone else. We’re all different and unique in our own ways and that’s what makes each of us so awesome! Could you imagine if we were all the same? BORING! Just be you!
2. Being too hard on yourself. Most people are way harder on themselves than anyone else in their lives. Be conscious of your self-talk and make sure that it’s positive. A good way to realize if you’re being too hard on yourself is to stop and think about the things that you’re saying to yourself. Would you say the same thing to a friend in the same situation? If not, why would you say it to yourself?! Try to catch yourself next time that you’re using negative self-talk and turn it around. Be gentle with yourself and allow life to happen.
3. Focusing on everything that’s gone wrong instead of focusing on everything that’s right. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never have enough.” Decide to only focus on the things that you’re grateful for. Maybe even come up with a list that you can refernce on days that you feel yourself starting to focus on everything that’s wrong. The list will help put things in perspective & remind you just how much you have to be grateful for!
4. Fearing change. Fearing change leads to a life lived in the comfort zone. Without change you become stagnant and stop learning and growing as a person–which is the ultimate kiss of death to your dreams. Learning and growing are both essential to making your dreams come true, but also for your own happiness and fulfillment as a person. You can’t let fear stop you from finding new ways to learn and grow. Try out a new class, read a new book, listen to a podcast, attend a seminar–there a million ways you can learn and grow right now! Make sure you’re constantly perfecting your craft and learning as much as you can.
5. Not being conscious of the people you surround yourself with or trying to please everyone. The people around you make more of a difference than you even realize. Make sure you’re surrounding yourself with people who will lift you up and push you towards your goals. And don’t try to please everyone–because you never will! Do what makes you happy and the right people will align with you.
Have you experienced any of these happiness robbers? Are there other happiness robbers that you’ve taken part in? I’d love to hear how you work past them! Let me know in the comments below.
Here’s to disarming those happiness robbers!
Until next time,