Having one of those days? One of those days where it seems to be one bad thing after another. One of those days where everything seems to go wrong no matter how hard you try to shake it. One of those days where you can’t seem to bring your spirits back up.
The good news is, EVERYONE HAS ‘EM- it’s totally normal!
Here are some tips to help get you through those kind of days:
1. Gratitude List. Make a list of absolutely everything in your life that you’re grateful for. Everything. Keep listing until you’re sure you couldn’t possibly think of anything else, and then list five more 🙂 It’s impossible to be in a state of gratitude and be upset, angry or any other negative emotion. Plus, making the list really helps put things in perspective and realize how much you have to be grateful for. There are thousands of people who would trade you places in a heartbeat. Maybe spilling creamer all over your brand new outfit and the floor (that was me…) really isn’t that bad after all! 😉
2. Call a loved one. Call someone who you love talking to–a friend, family member, whoever! Someone you love and who loves you. Talking to someone you care about will help boost your spirits and plus, it’s always good to catch up, right? 🙂
3. Exercise! Surprise, surprise I know. But working out really does help elevate your mood. Those endorphins man. They’ll get your spirits up in no time! Just get out and get moving. The movement will give you a sense of accomplishment, elevate your mood and help you to break out of that funk.
4. Get outside! Something about being outdoors in the fresh air makes a world of difference. Get outside, be in nature and breathe in some fresh air. Clear your head and just take in all of the awesomeness around you. Sometimes we get so caught up in our busy lives that we forget to stop and really enjoy our surroundings. We forget how beautiful this world around us really is. Take it in. Don’t think, just breathe. Which brings me to the next tip…
5. Take a Deep Breathe. Breathing makes a huge difference. When we’re stressed we tend to take short, shallow breathes instead of really filling our lungs like we’re supposed to. Stop and take some big, deep breaths–really fill your whole stomach with air before exhaling. Try this a few times and feel yourself slowly start to calm down with each breathe.
6. Do something nice for someone else. It doesn’t have to be huge but find a way to do something nice for someone else. Someone you don’t know. A random act of kindness. This can be as simple as picking up the tab on someone else’s coffee or even taking an hour out to go volunteer to a cause you support. Doing something to help a complete stranger gives you a deep sense of happiness and again, really helps to put things in perspective.
7. Sit up straight & smile! This is probably the LAST thing you want to do on a day like this, I know…but do it anyways! Aim for the biggest smile you’ve ever smiled!! Now hold it there! Hold that smile! Research has shown that even if you’re not happy, smiling will trick the brain into thinking you are and can actually shift your mood, aka LIFT THAT FUNK! So go out there and smile like your life depends on it–because it does! 😀
Try these out and let me know how you feel by leaving a comment below!
What other things do you do to lift your spirits on these kinda days? I’d love to hear!